Can You Or Your Handyman Repair The Roof On Your Home?
You fancy yourself somewhat of a DIY enthusiast. You’ve screwed in a few light bulbs and fixed leaky pipes over the years. So, fixing your roof leak must be a piece of cake, right? Or maybe you have a favorite handyman who can quickly and affordably handle minor repair tasks in and around your house.
We’ll just be honest with you: you’re kidding yourself if you think you or your handyman can repair your roof without any problems. Below you’ll find five causes of roof damage and five reasons you should trust a roofing professional with your roof.
Common Causes of Roof Damage
Roof damage is a significant problem and can affect the structural integrity of your home. If you don’t identify the early signs of damage and get your roof repaired as quickly as possible, you may end up with extensive damage or a completely ruined roof. Many factors can damage your roof, including:
- Old age: Age catches up with everything, and your shingles won’t be exempt. With a weak and brittle outer layer, the shingles will crack in multiple places and fall to the ground, ultimately causing leaks.
- Weather: High winds, hail storms, thunderstorms, deep cold, high heat, hurricanes, and snow will all cause roof damage. Severe weather conditions can break and rip up shingles, causing open spaces where moisture can get in.
- Poor maintenance: Staying on top of roof maintenance is vital to the life and health of your roof. If your roof is not regularly inspected or you fail to get repairs promptly, you’ll suffer damaging consequences.
- Foot traffic: When you wear spiked shoes, walk on a roof in high heat, or drop heavy things on the roof, you could rip a few shingles out of place, knock granules off the shingle surface, or cause other damage.
- Poor installation: Many roof repair needs are related to poor installation. Roofing over old shingles, not using underlayment, failing to overlap or fasten shingles correctly, using poor or no roof sealants, or failing to install flashing as needed can all lead to problems.
Signs You Need Roof Repair
Watching for the signs your roof needs repair can save you a great deal of money and extend the life of your roof. Here are warning signs which indicate it is time to call a roofer to inspect and repair your roof:
- Curled, cracked, missing, or loose shingles
- Lots of shingle granules in gutters
- Blistering or peeling paint
- Sagging roof deck
- Roof discoloration
- Damage around roof fixtures and openings
- Staining on walls or ceilings
- Leaks in the attic
- High energy bills
- Daylight shining through the roof
1. Mistakes Can Prove Quite Costly
While you think roof repair done by you or your handyman is a cheaper option, it can end up setting you back hundreds or thousands of dollars. There’s more to the repair job than climbing up to your roof and patching a leak.
You don’t have the trained eyes to spot the real problems or the technical knowledge to complete the project correctly the first time. One little mistake can make the damage worse. You’ll end up having to call a professional roofing contractor to undo the damage, and you’ll spend more than if you just called them in the first place.
2. You Risk Invalidating Your Warranty
Shingle manufacturers offer a warranty at the time of the roof installation. However, the warranty will only hold up if a certified roofing contractor completes the installation and repairs. If you hire a handyman for repairs, you will void the warranty.
3. You Could Injure Yourself
If you smack your thumb with the hammer while repairing a fence post, it won’t be such a big deal. But missteps in roofing are more dangerous. Without the proper training and equipment to work on a roof, you put your life at risk.
If a handyman injures himself while working on your roof, you could be liable for the medical expenses. Professional roofing contractors have the training, experience, tools, and safety gear needed to get the work done efficiently, without any mishaps. They also have the required insurance so you’re not liable for any medical bills should an injury occur.
4. Damage Can Be Hard to Find or Fix
Spotting where a leak is dripping through the ceiling into your home may be easy enough, but finding its exact location on the roof is another issue. Roofing contractors:
- Know which areas are prone to leaks
- Understand what causes them
- Can discover all potential problems
- Complete comprehensive repair to protect your home
5. You’ll Not Like the Results
Don’t let the YouTube tutorials or your handyman’s confidence mislead you. While roof repair may seem like a minor project, it requires skill and experience. Chances are, your handyman’s job won’t be as solid as what a professional roofing contractor would accomplish. Besides the curb appeal, a poorly done roof might adversely impact the resale value of your home.
Leave Your Roof Repair to the Professionals
For quality and reliable roof repair in the Akron and Cleveland areas, you can rely on Exteriors Plus’s licensed and certified professional team. We have the skills, experience, knowledge, and tools to produce lasting results. We guarantee exceptional workmanship and customer satisfaction. Contact us today to learn about our roofing services and get a free estimate.